Pages

Saturday 25 May 2019

The Voyage to New Zealand Creative Story

Things you should know before reading
Year: 1850s
Main Character: Kathrine Evans
Place of Birth: London
Destination: New Zealand


(updated for text to fit better on page)

Voyage to New Zealand


The sound of cries grows louder as I walk closer to the docks. I trail behind my master as I carry his
heavy brown leather suitcase, my hands ached and I was out of breath. We push our way through thecrowd of crying families, trying to get to our destination. As we were about to go aboard we were
stopped “Tickets and passports please!” The ticket collector instructed. I pass him the passports and
our tickets. He grabs them hungrily. “Are you Miss Kathrine Evans aged 17?” he asked. “Yes, yes I am,”
I said nervously. I watched him study my passport comparing my face to the black and white
photograph. “Go ahead,” he says as he passes me back my passport and ticket. I run up the bridge
which connected the boat to the wharf, dragging the luggage behind me. As I step onto the bow of the
boat I was welcomed by the captain and the crew of the ship. “Kathrine!” my master yelled. “Get my
luggage into the cabin immediately!”. I weaved in and out of the guests and staff making my way to the
cabins. As I walked down the deck I pass by the steerage. I managed to get a glance at what it was like
down there. Thin mattresses on the ground filled the room. The walls were mouldy and the floors were
dirty and wet. I carried along the hall I had finally found my masters room. I laid and unpacked his
belongings into his draws. I took this time to notice how fancy his room was. His room has beige
coloured walls and a brown carpeted floor. His bed had already been made it was covered with rose
flowered sheets and sheepskin blankets. There was a big dresser on the side of the room. There was
a desk with a crystal vase which held a stunning white rose. As I exited the room I locked the door. My
master thought it was best if I slept in the cabin next to his, in case he needed anything. I was fortunate
enough to sleep in the cabin, but the only negative part of it was that I needed to share with two other
female slaves. As I was about to exit my cabin the boat rocked back and forth, crashing me to my knees
as the rocking continued. As it rocking calmed I rushed out of the cabin and locked the door. I decided to
go to the stern of the boat to see what had happened. As I got there I found that the boat had departed
from the wharf.

I planted my feet near the edge of the boat, tears fell from peoples cheeks as we began our journey to
New Zealand. Families and friends stood on the wharf waving at us and wishing us luck. I stood there
for what felt like hours, just standing there as if my feet were in concrete. I stood there as I watched the
diseased, grey, lifeless city grow smaller, I watched until London faded out of my sight, I watched my
childhood home disappear. I stood there looking over the ocean for what felt like hours not able to move.
I could see nothing but grey cloudy sky towering over the big blue ocean. I looked behind me to find a
couple with their child standing near the edge of the boat taking in the view. It was silent, peaceful, clear,
even beautiful. “KATHRINE!” my master yelled as he walked towards me, his eyes full of anger. “Where
is my food!” he instructed. “I don't k...know s..sir” I looked down trying not to look into his fiery eyes.
“Move!” he instructed, pushing me towards the kitchen. I sprinted along the deck towards the kitchen. I
tried to fight the tears as I went into the kitchen. “A b..beef sandwich for Mr Moore,” I said. “Two minutes,”
the chief said. Four minutes later, I speed walked towards the table where Mr Moore sat. To my surprise,
he had a woman with him. She wore a tight elegant silk dress that complemented her curves. She wore
a confident smile on her face as she hypnotised my master with her charms. I slid the beef sandwich
onto the table, making sure there was no eye contact. The woman took a quick glance at my face before
carrying on the conversation with the man in front of her.  I kept my eyes on the ground as I curtseyed
and left the table. I kept thinking back to when the woman glared at me, her face was unreadable was
she disgusted, empathetic, sad, I don't even know why I care what people think about me anymore. I
have been stuck serving this loiter-sack since I was twelve. Night fell upon as quick. It seemed as if time
was flying by. Everyone was ordered to go to their cabins or steerage for the night. It was difficult to
navigate to the cabins. I nearly walked into several poles when trying to make my way to my room. As I
got there I went inside. Two other maids sat waiting on the bed. “Hi, my name is Mary” one maid stated.
She had short chestnut hair and looked as if she was 23. I looked over to the other girl who looked as if
she was 13. “Hi… my names Cindy” she murmured. I take this time to look at her. She wore grey messy
clothes with a black apron. “I guess we should go to bed,” said Mary. I sighed as I took off my rags and
put on the brown PJs that I have been wearing for a week. When we all got changed we all climbed into
bed. The air was freezing, we only had the sheets and a single knitted quilt on the bed. It took me a
while to get to sleep. I was difficult ignoring the swaying of the boat.

The night passed quickly as soon as I managed to get to sleep. I was awoken by the sound of chatter
passing by outdoor. We slipped on our overalls and followed the trail of servants towards the kitchen.
The smell of fresh meat filled my nose as I entered the kitchen. Chefs and butchers ran around the
kitchen making breakfast. We picked up Mr Moores breakfast. “What a pig” Mary snickered. I looked
down as I carry a plate of bacon to the dining room. Cindy followed me carrying a platter of freshly
baked bread and jams. Mary carried two plates, in one hand she carried a plate filled with apple slices
and the other filled with tomato soup. We made our way to the dining room filled with nobles. We placed
his breakfast on the table. I turned my back taking my leave when a rough hand grabbed my wrist. I
could feel his hand cutting off my circulation. “Listen here you rat, don’t you dare be late again” he
shouted. I snatch my wrist away from his grasp and walked off rubbing my sore wrist. I felt a small tug
on my apron as I passed a table. I nearly jumped. I turn around to find a young boy looking at me. He
looked like he was about 5. I crouch down on my knees. “Are you ok’ he said gently. “Yes, I am” I looked
at his smiling. “What your name?” I asked. “Ezra, Ezra Miller,” he said proudly. “Well, Ezra Miller you
don't need to worry about me. Go enjoy your breakfast” I said with a fake smile. He giggles slightly.
“What your name,” he asked. “Kathrine Evans,” I said. “Now go eat your breakfast before it goes cold”.
He nods and runs back to his table. I leave the kitchen making my way to the front of the boat. I watched
as the crew tied the sails to the posts that I nearly face planted into from last night. I spent most of the
day doing small jobs for Mr Moore such as, cleaning his room, making his bed, serving food, giving
messages to and from Mr Moore, and other jobs. Otherwise, I was watching the ocean on the deck, or
chatting with Mary and Cindy and the other slaves.

Two months have passed since we departed from London. Nothing interesting has happened. I have
been doing basically the same things every day. I have woken up cold, served breakfast, been
blackmailed, looked over the ocean, cleaned Mr Moores room, helped people with questions, served
lunch, chatted with other servants, served dinner, face planted into numerous poles while making my
way to the cabins for bed, talking about our day between me Cindy and Mary, and I go to bed. But today
seemed different. The sound that I usually wake up to was different. Instead of chatter, I heard coughing
and wheezing. I open the door to find multiple slaves covered in red spots. I shut the door and informed
Mary and Cindy of my findings. “Wear this!” I informed. I passed them a pair of gloves and long pants and
shirts as well as a mask. “What's this for?” they asked. “Multiple people have measles, we don't want to
get infected,” I said. They agreed and put on the clothes I gave them. As we went outside you could hear
coughing a clenching coming from all directions. I passed by steerage to find it completely cornered off.
It was if they used it as a quarantine area. Three doctors passed us as we walked towards the kitchen.
A rat scrambled across the floor, scurrying towards the kitchen. The kitchen was filled with slaves ready
to take breakfast. There were fewer people than usual. We lined up to get Mr Moores food. When we got
to the desk we found that Mr Moore only ordered a loaf of bread. This was very unusual. When I gave
him his food he looked off he was white as a sheet. I walked away thinking about the sickness going
around.

Weeks have passed and the disease has spread to nearly 67% of the passengers. Bodies left steerage
carried by doctors. The dead were thrown overboard into the ocean. The bodies were left for the sharks
to eat. Eventually, Mary got sick. She was put into a cabin by herself. No contact was allowed. We
weren't even allowed to see her. Mr Moore decided to hide in his cabin. Keeping away from everyone. I
was also released from my duties. Mr Moore didn't want me to infect him. 40% of the original amount of
people in the boat died. Storm after storm, more people got sick, more bodies were thrown off the ship.
Mary eventually died. We were able to say goodbye before she was effortlessly thrown from the side of
the ship.

One week to New Zealand, I don't think I can take it much longer. The ship held 150 people, now it
carries at least 60. I walked along the deck with Cindy. We stood by the side of the ship looking over the
ocean. I could hear cries along the stern. A sudden splash silent the person who was crying. I turn
around to find Ezra standing by the edge of the boat. His eyes were red and puffy. Two doctors left with
an empty stretcher. I was about to approach the kid when the nurse came up to me. “Can you please be
the caregiver for this kid?”, “He has no family left, I saw you with him a few months back,” she said. “Of
course…” I replied. Ezra poked his head around the nurse's legs and ran to hug me. I hugged him for
what felt like ages. Night fell on us and we were instructed to go to our cabins. We just lay in the bed just
chatting, till eventually, we fell asleep.

One week has passed and we are on the coast of New Zealand. New smells of plants and soil filled my
nose. It looks so different than London. The lands were full of trees and paddocks. As we departed from
the boat we went straight to the market. “Wait,” Cindy said desperately. “I have nowhere to go” “May I
stay with you?” she looked down staring at the mud under her shoes. “Of course, you are always
welcome,” I said. She looked up, her eyes had sparkles in them, she looked so happy. “Come on let's
go,” I said as I held Ezra’s and Cindy's hand. As we got to the market we could see so much food.
Stalls stocked with potatoes and carrots, stalls with freshly caught fish and beef. So many colours filled
the stalls. Dark skinned men and woman walked around the market selling a variety of foods. I believe
they are Maori’s. People back in London would speak about them. I approached one of the people at
the stall. She had beautiful brown skin and curly black hair. “May I help you?” she asked. “Uh yes, we
are looking for a place to stay,” I said with a friendly smile. “Well you asked on a good day, I actually
have a hut near here,” she said. “Really, how much,” I asked. “How much what?” the kind woman said.
“Uh, money,” I said. “Oh please, you can stay there for free” “Although you could help me sell things at
my stall. You could get some a little bit of money” She said. “That would be lovely,” I said. The hut was
small but cosy. It was made with wood and flax weaved together for the roof. In the day time, I would
go and help Pania at her stall like I promised, selling freshly caught fish. Cindy and Ezra decided to
help as well. When we had our days off we would always go to the beach or explore the forest. I tried
to experience and learn about their culture as much as I could. New Zealand was a place to escape
the chaos back in London. Everyone here is so friendly, and there is so much space and opportunities
here. I believe Cindy, Ezra and I will be happy here.


THE END
The middle and end are a bit rushed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.